Thursday, April 14, 2011

Bipolar Depression

After going through life for so long without knowing what on earth was wrong with me, when I was diagnosed as manic-depressive (somehow a clearer description of the illness than "bipolar"), it was not only a relief but I finally was able to get the proper care. I had a lot of good doctors, and some not-so-good. Further down the line when I mentioned Recovery to one of them, he actually said, "Well, it helps some people." Chalk that up to the simple fact that he was "unlearned," because by then I knew better. All the hospitalizations (a lot before Recovery; after Recovery far fewer...in fact, they became more like "tune-ups"); all the various meds; all the sessions with psychiatrists and counselors - none of that helped me a fraction of how my Recovery meetings and everything that goes with them has. I know I can't toss my pills, nor the doctor who prescribes them because they help keep me on an even keel. My mind no longer jumps from one subject to another during the manic phases and my depressions have indeed become just "lowered feelings." I still wake up some mornings with the urge to pull the covers over my head. That was my unfortunate habit for so many years; and staying there until mid-afternoon happened all too frequently, too. Now I give myself a short pep talk, like "Yes, you can do it," (not out loud or I'd probably find myself sitting in the hospital again), which is simply changing my thoughts from insecure to secure; gently push my favorite cat who loves to bunk with me to the floor; make the bed so I have less inclination to jump back in (and ENDORSE); take a short walk into the kitchen for a tall drink of water (one of my morning pills makes my mouth so-o-o dry) (and ENDORSE); enjoy a shower (and ENDORSE); get dressed immediately (another trick of mine, because if I stay in my warm fuzzy robe, I'm going to want to lay right back down in that bed - and who knows whether or not the mailman or someone else might come to the door. Actually, it's ME I'm pleasing. I just feel more alert and ready for whatever comes along when I'm not in my night clothes. For all of those part acts, I never stop endorsing, every day. I need that feeling of self-esteem. I live with my daughter and her three girls, and each one of them in their own way make me feel special, but what good would that do me if I myself felt that "I never do anything right," "I'm such a loser," and all those other negative thoughts that used to plague me? I didn't like myself at all, before I embraced Recovery. Now, all my friends, both at traditional and online meetings let me know in no uncertain terms that I am a worthwhile person. How can I argue with them?

1 comment:

  1. You are a very special lady and Endorse for sharing ..I LOVE YOUR HUMOR. Humor is our best friend ..Jay!

    ReplyDelete